FTLD'z Demo Reel (2021 Re-Edit)

FTLD'z Demo Reel (2021 Re-Edit)
Check out my latest demo reel on everything I do by clicking tha pic above!

Join My Patreon

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Review #1,412: Promo Only: Dance Radio August 2014

Reviewed on 7.22.2014 (Review #1,412)


Excited for this Promo Only: Dance Radio August 2014 review! A few high anticipation levels I remember, so I’m really lookin’ forward to reviewin’ this! Start Time: 5:00 PM | End Time: 7:11 PM


Disclaimer: I type how I wanna type (frequent use of “tha” instead of “the,” “iz” instead of “is,” “a”-ending words instead of “er,” and a few others). I rate each song from 1.0 – 5.0; each rating iz my own opinion! I only please myself wit my ratings! As long as it’s jammin’ enough for me to like it, I like it how I wanna like it! I look for beats, then vocals, and then lyrics. To determine my favorites, I will differ tha 4.0 ratings. If a song gets at least a 4.0 rating from me, I love it already. If at least a 4.6 rating, I pretty much really love it, as it’s considered mindblowin’ when I hear it! Any song can earn up to a maximum of a 5.0 rating. Anything I type before “ >>> ” iz what I’m sayin’ before I listen to tha song; anything after I type “ >>> ” iz what I think of tha song while I’m listening to it.

© 2014 CD Review (Review #1,412) reviewed on 7.22.2014 by FrankieThaLuckyDog.


01. Borgeous Feat. Julia Michaels “Wildfire”
Off tha Spinnin’ label, of course! Thanx to this song, I found out who tha vocalist was: Julia Michaels, who’s also tha voice on “Invincible”! And, tha week it debuted on Music Choice Dance, even my friend kept playin’ it on repeat! That’s a good look; I honestly think this song’s gonna be huge ‘cause of that! Can’t escape it! LOL @ Promo Only thinkin’ it’s a :14 intro, but they have somethin’ on here that’s a :44 intro; guess they got hypnotized by those beats? Really, it’s a :30 intro! I luv how I guessed that this was tha 1st song on here, on a whim, and I was right! It also reminds me of my controversial overtime hours that I can’t escape from. It’s like, be happy I’m working, lol! Really-great beats and tha vocals are pure, just like tha previous song!! My Current Rating: 4.7


02. Porter Robinson Feat. Urban Cone “Lionhearted (Arty Radio Edit)”
Off tha Astralwerks label, MCD has this, though no mix listed. I like tha title and how it’s very Final Fantasy-like. Let’s see if this tha MCD mix… >>> I don’t think so; an instant start, here, so I’m lookin’ forward to a new mix… Music sounds similar on tha chorus; sounds better than I expected it to… Nice drop, as always… Really startin’ to feel tha music durin’ tha chorus! My Rating: 4.2


03. Cedric Gervais Feat. Coco “Through The Night”
Wonder who this Coco iz… Anyway, a brand-new Robbins song, here; wonder if it’ll have tha same success as “Things Can Only Get Better”, from last year? >>> Kinda sounds like a low anticipation level with tha music start; vocalist sounds familiar… Tha lyrics sound pretty good… Sounds like an okay song, though I expected some powerful beats, here; sounds like it could be catchy, too. My Rating: 3.6


04. David Guetta Feat. Sam Martin “Lovers On The Sun”
Off tha Big Beat & Atlantic Records labels… MCD just got this, and I figured it had to be on here… Then again, I initially didn’t think so ‘cause “Bad” was just on PO, two months ago. Anyway, I think this one was okay; lemme give it a full listen… >>> Music ain’t too bad, here; a lil’ bit of a rock influence, it sounds like… Music got better after tha chorus, too… Vocals might need some work, but this ain’t too bad. Kinda sounds like a rip-off of Avicii on tha drop… My Rating: 3.8


05. Chris Malinchak Feat. Mikky Ekko “Stranger (Original Edit)”
First fail, here. Of course, provided by Ultra… Heard it on MCD, and it sounds like a Rick James-like song, between tha vocals, delivery of tha vocals and tha sound. I mean, between tha other two songs CM released, this might be tha better-soundin’ one. But, it’s still not quality for me. My Current Rating: 2.8


06. Audien & Matthew Koma “Serotonin”
Interestin’ title… A new Spinnin’ song, here; I’m actually lookin’ forward ta this collaboration! >>> Nice beats, vocals and lyrics, here… Drop ain’t too bad, though his drops haven’t been capturin’ me, within a heartbeat… Tha actual drop on this around 1:32 sounds a lil’ dead, kinda? I don’t think this’ll be that much of a memorable song in tha future, though… My Rating: 3.7


07. Deorro Feat. DyCy “Five Hours (Don’t Hold Me Back)”
Avicii signed this one to his LE7ELS label, as well as it bein’ with PRMD, too. Originally, a really-hot instrumental dance song, I almost am afraid to hear a vocal version… Got a snippet from MCD, so here’s what I got to say… >>> Didn’t expect tha vocalist to be a female. Vocals sound semi-dead, but these hot beats from Deorro kinda save it. LOL, same, hot drop; glad there’s no vocals on it! I mean, just look at Deorro; gotta luv him! My Rating: 4.4
EDIT: PO has it as “Can’t Hold You Back” in parenthesis in tha mp3 file on tha disc? “Don’t Hold Me Back”, PO! Initially fell for it, but it’s correct on their site…


08. Shift K3Y “Touch”
Columbia Records on tha signing, here. Excited to see a faster song (133 BPM), here! And, even more exciting: Look at tha artist’s name!! Look close at it… ‘cause, guess what I got from Dunkin’ Donuts on Friday: A Shift (Leader’s) K3Y, in less than four months there!!! Whoo!!! I can open up tha building!! Iz it me, or does certain Promo Only: Dance Radios tell tha tale of what’s to come? I think so! Lemme give this a full listen, now that MCD got it! >>> Didn’t expect male vocals, here; diggin’ tha beats, so far! I dunno what exact zone it puts me in; kinda somethin’ from, like, 10 – 15 years ago… After his remix on tha 6/14 CD, I have to continue to say, I’m diggin’ this UK-like sound! Sounds good; maybe, a lil’ growin’ wit tha vocals, but it’s nice to hear them kickin’ beats! I should play this a good amount of times. A good rating, though I know there’s better on this CD… My Rating: 4.3


09. Eric Prydz “Liberate”
Astralwerks got this one… Glad MCD got it, too; nice comeback! Vocals sound like Duran Duran and has that great, EP sound to it! My Current Rating: 4.4


10. London Grammar “Hey Now (Arty Remix Radio Edit)”
Columbia Records here, too… First heard this artist on a Disclosure song; I thought it was a dude; it’s actually a female, lol. MCD got this, and this ain’t too bad, either. Didn’t pay attention to add; vocals don’t catch me, too much. However, these Arty beats are pretty nice; can’t deny ‘em! Oh yeah, I’m not too crazy about tha title, and how she says it; a lil’ cheesy? I might like this better than tha PR song? Surprisingly, I’m tying tha rating; weird? My Current Rating: 4.2


½time: So far, pretty nice! Only one shitty song, with an average CD rating of four stars! I hope we keep tha consistency comin’ along!!


11. Basement Jaxx “Never Say Never”
PIAS Recordings on tha label… I think this iz more on tha low anticipation side. Kinda got a brief listen on MCD, but I don’t think it’ll be that interesting on this review… >>> A weak start with tha vocals, fa me. Their music always has tha same kinda vibe. Not tha shittiest song; different, but not many points from me. At 3:00, random female vocals? My Rating: 3.2


12. Kim Sozzi “Never Say Goodnight (Jason Nevins Radio Edit)”
Anotha “Never Say” song, back-to-back, lol! Got a sample (all that was online) about a month ago. Couldn’t believe Nervous Records came back! Last release from them on PO was tha DJ Mog & + Life song, all tha way from tha 8/11 PO! So, here we are, exactly three years later! Of course, KS could pull it off ‘cause Nervous iz in NY & she iz, too! Let’s see what we got, here… >>> A slow catch for tha start, here; hoping it gets better… Tha chorus sounds pretty good, includin’ tha music. Tha drop’s decent for me; there’s prolly better remixes out there… My Rating: 4.0
EDIT: Anotha PO screw up on tha parenthasis: Was issued as tha Baggi Begovic Remix Radio, but it’s really tha Jason Nevins Radio Edit, now corrected on their site, but not tha disc! No wonder why this didn’t sound tha same on MCD; MCD’s BB mix’s better!


13. Tove Lo “Habits (Stay High) (The Chainsmokers Radio Remix)”
That’s exactly what I did two dayz ago, lol!! Oh, if you would only know tha negative energy that used to exist at my job!! More on that when I review tha new remix to “My Love”, on here! Even tha college station up here’s playin’ tha original version of this, as I’m writing this! Major label, Island Records, on tha signing, if you remember, she’s tha chick on tha Seven Lions, Myon & Shane 54 “Strangers” song, lol. I really luv tha lyrics so much, here, but don’t be fooled: It’s not a “habit;” it’s a moment, when I get “high,” lol! I always have my focus at all times! Oh, and look @ tha length: 4:20!! LOL, ironic? That’s tha national weed day, April 20!! And, two dayz ago was tha 20th, too! >>> Anticipating remix start; hope tha beats turn good! This song iz tha truth: As much as some demons seem to haunt me, tha “high” made me care less about ‘em and try to move on! A cool drop, but not too dancey for me. Tell me this gon only be tha chorus? I wish this song had more exposure, especially on a major label! Tha 2nd chorus sounds pretty good with tha music, here… LOL, tha bridge at 2:18? What happened to tha verses? “I wake up, I got tha munchies!!” Where iz it? Whether it’s 4:20 on tha length or not, I think this iz a lil’ long; it’s still nice, though! My Rating: 4.5


14. Secondcity “I Wanna Feel”
Neva heard it… Major label, Columbia, on tha signing, but low anticipation level on tha 122 BPM… >>> This gon be house; I know it… Almost sounds like a Deborah Cox sample or somethin’, here… Deep house strikes again, lol! Not too shitty; I’m actually feelin’ tha music, a lil’ bit. It has better music than some of those other DH songs… Finally, 1:11, a verse… Or, just more DH-like repeatin’ vocals… Overall, listenable, surprisingly. My Rating: 3.9


15. Above & Beyond Feat. Alex Vargas “Blue Sky Action”
Ultra, here… Though I kinda gave tha previous song of theirs a lil’ bit of an iffy review, it started bein’ a lil’ catchy. I wound up lettin’ it get a few spins with me, as I was lazy with leavin’ my iPod on shuffle. Now, with this one, I have a feelin’ it’ll be better… >>> Anticipating music & vocal start! Diggin’ tha chorus and title part! Wow, this iz way better than their previous song!! Even has a drop that’s real hot/pure!!! Diggin’ tha surprises outta nowhere!! Funny how when I see their 130 BPM, vs. their previous 126 BPM, I just knew instantly that it was gonna be better! Oh, I can’t wait to play this, lol! Sounds like a great, end-of-summer song! Almost was afraid it wasn’t gonna have a 2nd music drop, but it did, toward tha end; nice!! My Rating: 4.7


16. American Authors “Believer (Tiësto Radio Edit)”
Island Records; them? >>> I’m actually diggin’ tha music, here; can possibly enter my playlist? Nice job, Mr. Changing-On-Your-Fansësto, lol! My Rating: 3.6


17. Jennifer Lopez “First Love (Syn Cole Radio Mix)”
Slowly workin’ my anticipation level toward tha end of this CD… Seems like there’s hurdles to cross, here? Capitol Records, here; I’d have anticipation, but in this case, not really… >>> Music sounds pretty good; didn’t even have anticipation on both J. Lo & SC, but it’s soundin’ good. Prolly could’ve had a more-exciting drop, so that’s where tha minus comes in… More of a touch of excitement at 1:30, kinda like tha Bellatrax sound… My Rating: 3.7


18. Route 94 Feat. Jess Glynne “My Love (Oliver Nelson Remix Edit)”
Now, spelled right, lol (tha May edition had it spelled “Glyne”)! Now, with Island Records added to tha 4th & B’way label. BPM dropped by five to 115, too. Now, what I said earlier while reviewin’ Tove Lo, I actually started diggin’ this song. It was due to tha terrible energy at work! One of my employers would really annoy tha shit outta me and boss me around! So, I had to have shit like this, “Royals”, any played-out song, etc. in my head, instead of all tha great instrumental dance songs! It makes me feel like fuckin’ high school again, where I’m afraid someone gon yell or some shit, smh! I graduated high school eight years ago! Even “Payback” (Dimitri Vangelis & Wyman x Steve Angello) had to calm down with me, for about a week! Played “Payback” every morning ‘til tha bitch criticized me of a sandwich that wasn’t mine to make. Then, this song started gettin’ tons of spins from me & I started playin’ it in my mornings. Luckily, she left on Friday, and we’re now back to tha hot instrumental dance songs, for a lot of spins! Anyway, let’s see what this remix gon sound like, even though I prolly don’t need to hear… >>> Oh God, soft start to fall asleep to; how much longer ‘til tha end of this CD? Great deep house to fall asleep to, but not a PO song, especially a re-entry?! LOL @ how these beats and vocals are combinin’! It’s like, yeah, slammin’, lol!! Reminds me of good moments, hearin’ this, too… My Rating: 2.9


19. Lazy Rich & Hot Mouth “Flash”
Got tha intro length right this time, PO, lol (:44)? Lookin’ at tha label, and I know that’s deadmau5’s label, mau5trap, lol! Also, with Astralwerks; this should be a hot collab! Can’t wait to hear, as a part of our triple-hot ending to this PO!! >>> Feelin’ tha energy tha start’s bringin’! Drop ain’t too bad, here; I guess you can say, it’s like a “flash,” at times, with tha sound? Climax seemed better… Music sounds a lil’ better at 1:30ish… Outta tha three ending songs, I think this one gon be tha weakest, for me. Expected a lil’ better, but either way, nice effort! My Rating: 4.3


20. Jenna Drey “Making Me Love Again”
Based off of anticipation, I think this gon be tha best one outta tha three. Of course, as always, Audio One on tha label. I always wonder how old she iz, by now? Funny ‘cause her mom’s older than my rappin’ granny (71), and my rappin’ granny’s 70! She gotta be about 40 or somethin’… Always lookin’ good, so here goes my heart-poundin’ review, fulla anticipation!! >>> LOL @ PO’s error on tha no intro; sounds like Lenny B produced this one, based off of how it sounds! I was gonna say, finally, a no-mixed JD song! Of course, vocals are great, as always!! Just luv how she always has tha anticipation on tha tracks, while it’s progressin’!! Diggin’ tha chorus, too; strikin’ again with anotha hot one!! Too hot; she doesn’t need a drop! Can’t believe that other than ’09, she’s had a song every single year, since “Killin’ Me” dropped in ’05 (“By The Way” was ’06, but continued throughout ’07, as it was later signed with Robbins, from Audio One)! Pretty consistent for someone who really only releases, like, one song a year, and doesn’t fall off! My Rating: 4.8 (had to do it, lol!)


21. (We Are) Nexus “Shamelessly (Kirk Cosier Radio Edit)”
And, anotha one!! Signed with Shotgunn Productions, these guys (producer & a chick) show me a ton of luv on Twitter! They came onto tha scene last year, with a cover of Sonique’s “It Feels So Good”. Even though a nice 135 BPM pace like Sonique, I purposely ignored it ‘cause of dance vs. dance (a dance artist covering another dance artist) & shitty times. If it would’ve came out while I was hired, I prolly would’ve played it. Then, earlier in January, they released this song (“World Around Me”): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijwvAaHoOI
I showed it luv and that’s how they became fans of my playlist. It was also tha revival of MCD, as they always played it, compared to “big” songs and pop songs, remixed. Now, a new song’s here; I’m definitely lookin’ forward to it! Here comes tha moment… >>> An okay start; hope it’s a good mix … There’s other mixes out there, so we’ll see how this goes… Sounds like a pretty heavy climax; ooh!! Are they really goin’ tha instrumental dance route, here? Sounds pretty nice; I’m diggin’ these consistent beats! Almost reminds me of some other instrumental dance song, too… I had a feelin’ PO wasn’t gonna let me down with them on here, despite me not knowin’ tha remixer! Nice 2nd chorus part; nice music!! Pretty catchy vocals; doesn’t sound anything like their previous song, “World Around Me”! Luv how for only 3:30, it has a club mix-like intro & outro! My Rating: 4.3


Overall: Really was feelin’ this CD, it seems like! There was a dose of decent pop remixes that got in tha way, but a lotta great artists to support, here! Nice and memorable for August; hope September, which I usually have anticipation for’s just as good!



Rankings:

21.       Chris Malinchak Feat. Mikky Ekko “Stranger (Original Edit)” 2.8
20.       Route 94 Feat. Jess Glynne “My Love (Oliver Nelson Remix Edit)” 2.9 – Take that, annoying employer, lol!
19.       Basement Jaxx “Never Say Never” 3.2
18.       Cedric Gervais Feat. Coco “Through The Night” 3.6
17.       American Authors “Believer (Tiësto Radio Edit)” 3.6
16.       Jennifer Lopez “First Love (Syn Cole Radio Mix)” 3.7
15.       Audien & Matthew Koma “Serotonin” 3.7
14.       David Guetta Feat. Sam Martin “Lovers On The Sun” 3.8
13.       Secondcity “I Wanna Feel” 3.9 – Generous ranking for deep house…
12.       Kim Sozzi “Never Say Goodnight (Jason Nevins Radio Edit)” 4.0
11.        London Grammar “Hey Now (Arty Remix Radio Edit)” 4.2
10.       Porter Robinson Feat. Urban Cone “Lionhearted (Arty Radio Edit)” 4.2
09.       (We Are) Nexus “Shamelessly (Kirk Cosier Radio Edit)” 4.3
08.       Lazy Rich & Hot Mouth “Flash” 4.3
07.       Shift K3Y “Touch” 4.3
06.       Eric Prydz “Liberate” 4.4
05.       Deorro Feat. DyCy “Five Hours (Don’t Hold Me Back)” 4.4
04.       Tove Lo “Habits (Stay High) (The Chainsmokers Radio Remix)” 4.5
03.   Above & Beyond Feat. Alex Vargas “Blue Sky Action” 4.7
02.   Borgeous Feat. Julia Michaels “Wildfire” 4.7
01.   Jenna Drey “Making Me Love Again” 4.8


Average CD Rating Review:

Total Score:              84.0
Total Songs:              / 21
-----------------------------
Average CD Rating:       4.0


Most of tha time, I try not to let an already-heard song top my rankings. Not that it’s off by much, but Jenna Drey always puts me in some of tha best moods, so props to her! I try not to sound like favoritizin’ her so much, since she’s topped a whopping four PO reviewz I’ve done (“All Out Of Love” [4/08 PO], “Can’t Let Go” [11/11 PO], “Summer Night In Seattle” [6/12 PO] & this PO), but she just puts me in that great mood! ;) I hope I connect & meet her one day!