FTLD'z Demo Reel (2021 Re-Edit)

FTLD'z Demo Reel (2021 Re-Edit)
Check out my latest demo reel on everything I do by clicking tha pic above!

Join My Patreon

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Review #1,416: Promo Only: Dance Radio September 2014

Reviewed on 9.02.2014 (Review #1,416)


‘Bout to review Promo Only: Dance Radio September 2014! Was gonna review this before August & last week ended. However, I’ve been havin’ a lotta bad luck. I almost thought one of my friends was lyin’ to me, and I had no self-esteem on Sunday, to review this. I also worked 4 – 11 AM and drove from Pennsylvania to Long Island, NY, so you can tell I was tired. But now, I’m ready for this, while I wait for my dad to come and take me out for breakfast! We’ll see how far I get with this before he comes… Start Time: 8:49 AM | End Time: 2:48 PM


Disclaimer: I type how I wanna type (frequent use of “tha” instead of “the,” “iz” instead of “is,” “a”-ending words instead of “er,” and a few others). I rate each song from 1.0 – 5.0; each rating iz my own opinion! I only please myself wit my ratings! As long as it’s jammin’ enough for me to like it, I like it how I wanna like it! I look for beats, then vocals, and then lyrics. To determine my favorites, I will differ tha 4.0 ratings. If a song gets at least a 4.0 rating from me, I love it already. If at least a 4.6 rating, I pretty much really love it, as it’s considered mindblowin’ when I hear it! Any song can earn up to a maximum of a 5.0 rating. Anything I type before “ >>> ” iz what I’m sayin’ before I listen to tha song; anything after I type “ >>> ” iz what I think of tha song while I’m listening to it. Sometimes, I may not rate a song too high on its first listen, but in tha future, I could be playin’ it more than a higher-rated song…

© 2014 CD Review (Review #1,416) reviewed on 9.02.2014 by FrankieThaLuckyDog.


01. Steve Angello Feat. Dougy “Wasted Love”
Waited ‘til this CD to get this, finally. Obviously, ‘cause of it bein’ SA, just like with “Payback”, it’s signed with both Size Records & Columbia Records. And, Dougy’s from The Temper Trap, so this iz like some 2014-type “Sweet Disposition”, a lil’ bit… My first listen wasn’t too catchy with tha vocals, like “SD”, but tha drop started becomin’ catchy, after multiple hangouts. Gotta luv this hangout summer I’ve been havin’! Not only that, I’ve been stayin’ more up-to-date with things, despite spendin’ almost a whole few dayz hangin’ out! Gotta luv tha vibe, here, and tha lyrics are pretty catchy. My Current Rating: 4.4


02. Alesso “Tear The Roof Up”
Off tha Def Jam label (lol, when I write that, I always be thinkin’ it’s hip-hop, but it’s true that they sign dance acts/songs, now). Music Choice Dance got this about a month ago, and I only think it’s okay. Funny ‘cause tha vocals sound like a rap song slowed down, and tha drop sounds like tha melody from Blaze & Barbara Tucker “Most Precious Love” (“din-din-de-de-din-nin-nin”); that’s what it reminds me of, lol. But, it’s a nice lil’ house song for energy, I guess? Just decent for me with its repetitiveness… My Current Rating: 3.7


03. Dirty South Feat. Sam Martin “Unbreakable”
CD’s startin’ off with a bunch of big DJs, here… Off tha Astralwerks label, here’s anotha song from MCD. Kinda has almost tha same vibe as “Wasted Love”. Pretty-good lyrics and tha drop sounds pretty nice, here; diggin’ it and its vibe! I dunno how much I’ll play it, but it should be good to play, with all tha hangouts I got goin’ on. Tons of memories are bein’ created, constantly! My Current Rating: 4.3


04. Laidback Luke Feat. Gina Turner “Bae”
Finally, a new song here, and lol @ tha cheesy hip-hop slang! And, lol @ tha label that signed it: Robbins! Still, a big DJ and I hope it turns out to be pretty slammin’! >>> Sounds like a borderline R&B song with tha vocals/lyrics, but watch, there’ll be a big drop to balance everything… Actually, not big, but sounds like a rip-off of “Boneless”, with tha sound. Cool drop, but so far, nothin’ to strike me hard. I don’t think this’ll be too big with me, but watch, it’ll prolly get a lotta airplay. My Rating: 3.8


05. Fedde Le Grand “Twisted”
DJlicious? Of course, we have all kinds of labels, here, and, of course, Ultra had to get in there! Let’s see how this one sounds… >>> A big-soundin’ song for no words, so far; oh, house vocals at :39… Prolly could’ve done without tha vocals, but they, I guess, build tha vibe, here. Feelin’ tha music and drop; good job, here! Hearin’ tha vocals for tha 2nd time and they can get a lil’ repetitive for a potential instrumental dance song… Ehh, my dad’s comin’, so oddly, I have to pause tha PO review for a lil’ bit… *Takes break at 9:08 AM* My Rating: 4.2


06. Don Diablo “Anytime”
*Returns to review at exactly 1:00 PM* Off tha Spinnin’ label, lemme see what this gon be like… >>> A “house” embrace, here, with some vocals on tha chorus… Drop and beats ain’t too bad… Tha vocals can remind me of bein’ thrown into tha deep “house” category, here. Prolly a lil’ too many vocal repeatin’ parts at 1:25; need more beat parts… My Rating: 3.7


07. Bebe Rexha “I Can’t Stop Drinking About You (Jump Smokers Radio Edit)”
Whoo for tha solo single & titled song like this! Off mainstream label, Warner Bros., tha original version’s pretty nice, with its dubstep feel. Let’s see if JS can make a good remix… >>> A nice, slow start. Feelin’ how her vocal parts in tha beginning remake some old song… I dunno why, but I’m feelin’ this remix for a JS remix. Not much goin’ on with tha beats, but I feel like tha vibe’s here. My Rating: 3.9
TO ADD: Somethin’ about this title, I knew it! I had a feelin’ it was gonna be one of those guilty, you-can’t-talk-to-your-friend songs, and it sure iz, now! Right after I gave tha original its first spin, I neva have seen my friend I hang out with since; fuckin’ ironic!


08. Dillon Francis & Sultan & Ned Shepard Feat. The Chain Gang Of 1974 “When We Were Young”
A new release from DF, here, from Columbia Records. Caught it on MCD and even though it wasn’t catchy, at first, I think I got a lil’ more of a catch when I heard it on there, without lookin’ at tha screen, after hangin’ out. TCGO74’s an alternative band, so it’s different to see them on an EDM track. Not really into tha vocals that much, but I like that title part and tha lil’ drop, right after it. Somethin’ about tha lyrics in tha chorus give me such a feelin’ to embrace bein’ “young.” Like, I feel like I’m 19 every day, like it’s 2008! My Current Rating: 3.8


09. Charli XCX “Boom Clap (Gozzi Radio Edit)”
Keepin’ tha UK talent comin’ along, Atlantic on tha signin’, here. This song’s from a movie, and I’m surprised it crossed over, even though it’s a cheesy pop song. Still, I think bein’ on Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy”, right after Icona Pop’s “I Love It”, helped her continue to not be a one-hit wonder. Anyway, this nice remix from Gozzi I’m feelin’; makes tha song not so cheesy, even though tha chorus iz, sped up. I’m diggin’ tha nice drop; in anotha zone! LOL, both MC Hitlist & Pop Rhythmic are playin’ tha original version, at tha same time! Ahh, tha “Boom Clap”s!! My Current Rating: 4.3


10. Stafford Brothers & Eva Simsons “This Girl”
Not sure what to expect… Label’s BMG Chrysalis, same label as Adventure Club’s “Wonder”! >>> Sounds like a pop start, but once tha vocals kick in, it sounds like a dance song. LOL @ this originally havin’ a rap in it; really? Sounds like a poppy version of “Unstoppable”, but still has that dance feel to it. I bet this gon get out there a lot, to tha point where I may hear it more than I can get tha chance to play it. LOL @ tha cheesy rapless part, where it was just music (not really a drop). My Rating: 4.3


11. Sia “Chandelier (Liam Keegan Remix Edit)”
From RCA Records… LOL, this song gets remixed. A pretty-good pop song with some urban lyrics in tha verses, but sounds kinda funny for a sped-up dance remix. Like, I can feel it a lot more in tha original version than a remix like this. Beats are pretty nice, but I can’t take it too serious. Glad tha pop world gave this song a chance; its music video even won an MTV VMA, recently! My Current Rating: 4.0


½time: So far, it’s an okay CD, so far; seems like a lotta mainstream dance tracks with a lotta big DJs… A current rating average of a 4.0, at tha moment; how will we continue?


12. ZHU “Faded”
Anotha intermission to eat lunch… *Eats lunch at 1:26 PM* *Returns at 1:49 PM* I think tha next song’s that “Faded”? Lemme see… *Checks ID* Y…E…S…, L…O…L…! First saw it on P105 and I purposely ignored. Usually, I’ll ignore somethin’ on there if it’s not an outstanding first listen. But, between MCD support & actually gettin’ “faded” with my friend up in PA, I’m sure I gon appreciate this song more! Off mainstream label, Columbia Records, this slow jam’s sure nice to hear. I almost thought it was gonna be a rap-like song, but it’s deep house, lol; how you get that outta my expectations? I like how tha voice gets distorted, too… I can’t believe EDM people would take this song serious; it sounds like a funny, slow joke. My Current Rating: 4.1
EDIT: PO, what’s tha deal, here? Why iz tha pitch so slowed down? Wouldn’t’ve caught it, first, but its real BPM’s 125; this’ labeled at 118? Listenin’ to it again on MCD and yeah, your version’s really slowed down…


13. Mayra VerĂ³nica vs. Yolanda Be Cool “Mama Yo!”
From tha disco:wax import label, as well as Sony, it’s like, anotha opportunity for MV’s “Ay Mama Mia” song? Battling with YBC, I can only imagine what this gon sound like, with no mix… >>> Actually, not that song; a completely different song. We’re back to tha “No Americano” sound, lol; a decent start, here, though extremely random! I dunno what to say about this one… I just think it’s weird, but not terrible. I think this sound had its time; I don’t see anymore of these kinda songs blowin’ up on my playlist. Now, let’s bring back tha Romanian sound! If not, I’ll just stay tuned to Inna’s import label, Roton Music’s YouTube page, RotonMusicTV! My Rating: 3.4


14. Oliver $ & Jimi Jules “Pushing On”
I dunno about this one… Tha 122 BPM makes me know that this iz deep house, and tha title looks like a remake of “Push The Feeling On”? And, I’m already seein’ a mirage as I thought it was Judge Jules on tha ID, but it’s not… Okay then, here comes a new Ultra release… >>> Unlike tha catchiness of Secondcity’s “I Wanna Feel”, from tha last PO (#14 too, no less), I’m not feelin’ these vocals and this dry DH sound. There’s been a lotta bad first listens with these DH songs, lately; I don’t see this doin’ much for me… Tha repetitiveness’ shitty and tha vocals just scream, “Can this end already?” My Rating: 1.2


15. Iggy Azalea Feat. Rita Ora “Black Widow (Oliver Twizt Remix Radio Edit)”
Keepin’ tha Olivers comin’ along, lol… Back with Iggy and this Def Jam release… Even though I’m startin’ to not feel her that much (remindin’ me of Nicki), her songs have been catchy. I luv tha fast chorus beats in tha original version and Rita does a great job singin’ tha chorus. I dunno, but I’m lookin’ forward ta hearin’ a dance remix of this… >>> Likin’ tha music start… LOL, faster vocals than tha fast original version! LOL, they just skipped tha title part (“like a black widow baby”), but I’m feelin’ tha lil’ drop. I had a feelin’ this was gon be rap-free, since its BPM was 128; prolly wouldn’t’ve been if it was a lot slower. Nice for a lil’ house remix; I’m diggin’ it. My Rating: 4.2


16. Sylvia Tosun “Take My Breath Away (Bimbo Jones Radio Edit)”
We finally have a hot artist, here, even though BJ on tha mix… And, Sylvia always releases music on her own label, SeaToSun Recordings, so this one ain’t no different. Can’t believe we’ve known her for seven years, now! >>> Nice start, but ahh, it’s a remake of tha old ‘80s song by Berlin. Kinda risky to remake an oldie in this gigantic world of dance music, but if it’s Sylvia, I believe she can get past it with her hotness! Finally, a nice-soundin’ BJ production, though kinda dry how she delivers tha chorus… Either way, I’m feelin’ it. BJ have stepped up quite a bit since their P!nk “U + Ur Hand” dayz, where all their productions sounded tha same. In this case, I’m definitely lookin’ forward to tha CaRy NoKEY song, at tha end of this CD! My Rating: 4.3


17. Michael Woods Feat. Lauren Dyson “In Your Arms”
Spinnin’ Records…!! OMG, this iz ACTUALLY here!! OMG!! MCD got this, and I added it after hangin’ out, one day! These hangouts I have with my friend from my job have been makin’ me add at least one new song to my playlist, each time, and boy, do they create such memories!! LOL, when this got its first spin on my iPod, on shuffle, I found out that my friend’s friend pissed on his floor, tha night before! I’ll take that as memorable for this song, lol! And, what energy, here, with tha MW beats, but what great vocals from one-time-appearing LD, who was on PO only once (“V.I.P.”, 10/10 PO)! Great comeback, and tha drop’s too hot, as well as tha beats!! Such a top-notch tune!! Can really feel her deliver it, between these lyrics, vocals, and that catchy-ass bassline!!! My Current Rating: 4.9


18. Michael Jackson “Slave To The Rhythm (Audien Radio Edit)”
Epic Records; really? >>> Yuck @ these gruff vocals! PO, please stick to puttin’ dance artists on your Dance Radio editions! A good drop, though I can’t be serious when I put tha word “drop” and MJ in tha same sentence! Was gonna rate this really low, but I’ll give it some credit for tha drop, smh. Oh, if Audien only used this beat for that Matthew Koma collaboration from tha last PO… My Rating: 2.6


19. Elena Feat. Glance “Mamma Mia (He’s Italiano)”
Wow, didn’t even realize it was who I thought it was, or who I think it iz? A new Robbins song, here, so I’m thinkin’ it’s tha Elena from “Before I Sleep” (Robbins release), not tha “Disco Romancing” one (Ultra release)… >>> Seems like a bunch of non-English songs, here and there, on this CD? Beat’s slowly buildin’ in, and tha vocals are nice and sexy… Pretty nice chorus; sounds like a great dance song… I’ll have to do a lil’ googlin’ searchin’ ta see who this iz. Based off tha voice, it sounds like tha “Disco Romancing” Elena… This should be somethin’ great to play; might be a great hangout song! I have a feeling there’s a rapper, here, based off tha background vocals… Yeah; neva heard of this dude, but his lyrics fit tha song, so it ain’t too bad… I believe this my favorite new song I haven’t heard, yet, from this CD; finally, we got one! Sexiness iz a gem! My Rating: 4.4
EDIT: After googlin’, I found out it’s our “Disco Romancing” girl, like I predicted: Elena Gheorghe; ooh @ havin’ red hair, now! ;) Funny how this Romanian chick’s in luv wit tha “Italiano!”


20. (We Are) Nexus “Better Off Without You”
Props to PO for continuin’ tha support of (We Are) Nexus! Really? PO had to clean up a (We Are) Nexus song? And, 4:20 on tha length! Just like their last releases, Shotgunn Productions on tha signing, here; really lookin’ forward to hearin’!! Who knows? I may like it more than their previous PO song, “Shamelessly”? >>> A nice start; feelin’ tha quiet beat start with Carmen’s pure-soundin’ vocals… LOL @ tha chorus; feelin’ it, especially that she says, “Ya,” instead of, “You,” lol. Sometimes, tha vocals remind me of Krewella; finally, some hot-soundin’ music parts at 1:30! Hope there’s more of it, as we’re back to a quiet sound on tha 2nd verse, here… Sounds pretty good, but waiting 1:30 each time for tha hot music’s kinda long… At times, I’m feelin’ tha lyrics; I’ll give this props, of course. Just wanted more tight beats, but it still turned out pretty-good, overall! My Rating: 4.2


21. Ferreck Dawn & Redondo “Love Too Deep”
A new Spinnin’ song…! However, 122 BPM? Are Spinnin’ tryna jack tha deep house sound? Lemme see, here… >>> I had a feelin’ I wasn’t gonna look forward to this… Beats are kinda dry; vocals, not bad; repetitive vibe, kinda lame… I think, maybe, one deep house song per PO, or at least one every few months? I dunno about, like, four on a CD? They lack exciting moments… My Rating: 1.8


22. Cary Nokey “Now Or Never (Bimbo Jones Radio Edit)”
Yes, CN in tha buildin’! I dunno how they officially stylize their name (“Cary NoKey”? “CaRy NoKEY”?), but I’m just gonna write it regular, here. Looks like Sylvia Tosun signed this one to her SeaToSun label. It’s like, did BJ move there, too? Two remixes from them and they’re both for tha same label, not no hit song remixed, lol? They released an okay song last year (“Incredible”), that I supported from Party 105, thanx to my great moments of last fall. They even followed me on Twitter, so you know I’m lookin’ forward ta hearin’ this one! >>> LOL @ no intro… At times, just like their last song, I’m feelin’ their gay-vocal sound… Funny how a BJ production can get me anticipated; feelin’ how it combines with their vocals…! Tha chorus ain’t too bad, but I feel like I can get in a good mood with it; decent effort, with BJ doin’ a nice job with tha beats… Kinda sounds like a random PO song, but it’s good exposure for them, I guess? Seems really short, here… My Rating: 4.1


Overall: Finished tha review 5 hours, 59 minutes later, but really, it only took me less than two hours to review… I have to say, this was an okay edition. Not that many songs struck me, and if they did, it was because of sexiness. A lil’ too much deep house, here, and maybe even too many big DJs, some with okay-soundin’ songs? Still, not that terrible, but there had to be a lil’ work done, here…


Rankings:

22.       Oliver $ & Jimi Jules “Pushing On” 1.2
21.       Ferreck Dawn & Redondo “Love Too Deep” 1.8
20.       Michael Jackson “Slave To The Rhythm (Audien Radio Edit)” 2.6
19.       Mayra VerĂ³nica vs. Yolanda Be Cool “Mama Yo!” 3.4
18.       Don Diablo “Anytime” 3.7
17.       Alesso “Tear The Roof Up” 3.7
16.       Dillon Francis & Sultan & Ned Shepard Feat. The Chain Gang Of 1974 “When We Were Young” 3.8
15.       Laidback Luke Feat. Gina Turner “Bae” 3.8
14.       Bebe Rexha “I Can’t Stop Drinking About You (Jump Smokers Radio Edit)” 3.9
13.       Sia “Chandelier (Liam Keegan Remix Edit)” 4.0
12.       Cary Nokey “Now Or Never (Bimbo Jones Radio Edit)” 4.1
11.        ZHU “Faded” 4.1
10.       Fedde Le Grand “Twisted” 4.2
09.       (We Are) Nexus “Better Off Without You” 4.2
08.       Iggy Azalea Feat. Rita Ora “Black Widow (Oliver Twizt Remix Radio Edit)” 4.2
07.       Dirty South Feat. Sam Martin “Unbreakable” 4.3
06.       Charli XCX “Boom Clap (Gozzi Radio Edit)” 4.3
05.       Sylvia Tosun “Take My Breath Away (Bimbo Jones Radio Edit)” 4.3
04.       Stafford Brothers & Eva Simsons “This Girl” 4.3
03.   Steve Angello Feat. Dougy “Wasted Love” 4.4
02.   Elena Feat. Glance “Mamma Mia (He’s Italiano)” 4.4
01.   Michael Woods Feat. Lauren Dyson “In Your Arms” 4.9


Average CD Rating Review:

Total Score:              79.2
Total Songs:              / 22
-----------------------------
Average CD Rating:       3.8